Armed with a basin of soap, a tube of silicone caulk, and some Pokemon action figures, we were ready to go. We used this tutorial.
We filled the soap basin with warm water, and hacked off the end of the caulk tube with a large, rusty saw. Gotta throw in a little danger to keep things lively. We pulled the caulk out of the tube and submerged it in the basin, massaging it into a usable dough.
Whenever you're ready, cover your action figures with a thick layer of caulk, making sure to leave some part of the figure exposed so you can pull it out later.
|Threw in a baby blaster for good measure.|
Once dry (we waited overnight), pull the figures out and give them a good wash to de-vinegarize. Let the finished molds "cure" or dry out a bit more (we waited until Penga-Sis came back the next weekend, but probably just another day is fine).
First spray the molds down with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alchy) to prevent any bubbles from forming in the soap. Then pour away with your scented soap!
Psyduck came out really well though!
|You can see the little pucker on the side though where I didn't cover him well enough with the caulk.|
We'll definitely be trying mold-making again, but so far our lessons learned - cover your object as MUCH as feasible. The more it is covered, the less overflow problems you should have. Obviously, bulkier "soap" shaped objects will make better soap. Not twiggy action figures (unless you mount them inside a clear bar soap or something). And keep your workspace ventilated. I'm serious about the vinegar smell, yo!
And uh, I doubt these are food safe molds, so only use them for soap or resin!